Douglas A-4 "Skyhawk"
The Douglas A-4 Skyhawk is a lightweight attack aircraft designed as a successor to the propeller driven A-1 Skyraider by the Douglas design team headed by Ed Heinemann. Production began in September 1953 and continued until February 1979; 2,960 were built(2,405 attack and 555 trainers) in 21 versions. Skyhawks were bought by six other nations and some are still flying today. The A-4 Skyhawk II was flown by the Navy Blue Angels flight demonstration squadron from 1984 to 1986. The A-4 Skyhawk #145082 served the U.S. Navy with distinction from November 1959 to May 1974 with over 5,560 active flying hours.
The first sections of the aircraft arrived at the Eckelmann facility in May, 2001. Restoration was completed in September, 2002. The aircraft was delivered to the Kenner site October 9, 2002.