TAG Residence #5

Residence 5, 1871

The buildings that line up alongside the parade grounds were constructed in 1835 as officers’ quarters. By 1870, residence #5 was the Surgeon’s Quarters due to its location near the hospital complex.

The rear wall of all the buildings on the original parade ground were built into the perimeter wall as a cost saving measure. The back wall served as both part of the structure and perimeter defense with no need for costly window glass.

Raymond Hufft- Louisiana’s Adjutant General 1948-1952, 1956-1960 – was the first Louisiana Adjutant General to reside in the building. It was unoccupied in the late 1950s and re-occupied by Major General Erbon Wise after extensive renovation, including a rebuild of the kitchen. Every Adjutant General since then has occupied the house. Some lived there permanently, and others just stayed there when conducting business at Jackson Barracks or New Orleans in general. Neither Ray Fleming nor Thomas Bonner used the residence. Fleming was living in a small cottage style house that was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. Bonner was Acting AG during David Wade’s tenure. He lived in Building 14 (NW corner “commissary”).

General and Mrs. Hufft, 1950s